Site Hits - Well done one and all

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Scribbles

Just listening to Gideon Coe on 6music online. That guy is the best radio personality around. Check it out at 9pm week nights if you like to keep up with what’s new, and have a bit of nostalgia too.

Anyhoo, I thought I’d write something down this weekend – it’s Saturday morning, 38 degrees outside but nice and cool in my apartment, so apart from a trip out later for provisions I’m staying put. Thing is, what to write down? A poem? (I hear groans). Short story? I have one I prepared earlier and it might make an appearance later. Jokes? Maybe. The problem is, being funny is only possible with something to “go on”. It’s kind of a two-way thing, capische? Maybe someone could give me a start. Perhaps a small anecdote, an amusing experience, or even a subject to discuss. Meanwhile I’ll blather on about nothing, which is about as funny as…. Well, nothing.

I assume you’ve all been watching the Olympics? It’s passed me by completely. I hope “Team GB” are doing well, and that there aren’t too many drug scandals. I did see a medal table which appeared to show China winning the “Rion’s share” (guffaw) of the medals. What a surprise. They seem to have gone to great lengths to get their athletes etc. up to such a high standard ready for the enormous PR boost of winning the Olympics. Has nobody told them it’s irrelevant? A bigger PR boost would be improving their human rights record, but no we’ll just see a few overtrained gymnasts and the circus will move on. What a triumph of style over substance. What an opportunity missed. What a pisser, change the subject Russell. To cheer me up after that rant, here are some people who maybe tried too hard…



Ouch



Ouch







OUCH

I've been reading a lot more since getting here. I bought James Joyce's Ulysses to give me the literary high ground, but so far I've read a series of Iain M Banks sci-fi novels. They're great (and thanks Breck), but eventually I'll have to tackle Mr Joyce. Has anyone read it? I get diffrent reports whenever I ask. Some call it the 20th century's best novel, others say it's a load of tosh. My opinion, rest assured, will follow.

By the way this monologue, seamless though it seems, has been (and will continue to be) written over the course of a lazy day, spent alternating betweeen reading and writing. Oh, and peeling off dead skin. (Gross. Stop it.)

Let me know what you lot are reading, you bunch of illiterates. Or writing.

Here's a list of questions for those people I haven't heard from so far on this blog:

  • Martin, how's my bike?
  • Lucy, how's preparations going?
  • Maureen, have you been wearing leather?
  • Carol, how's your achilles, your coccyx etc?
  • Reg, got that car going yet?
  • Anne, how's the boat? And Tony?
  • Tracy & Breck, how are Carol & Reg?
  • ...Carol & Reg, how are Tracy & Breck?
  • Jack, are you in London yet?
  • ...Alex, is Jack in London yet?
  • Emma, what are you listening to these days?
  • Colin, got your new PC yet?
  • Sandy, got a mobile yet? Number?
  • Grant, have you been Beehiving?
  • Michael, how are your paradiddles?
  • Rosemarie, are you painting?
  • Tonydad, how's your knee? Oh yes forgot you don't have one!
If I've missed you out it's becsause
a) I already heard from you
b) I don't want to hear from you
c) I forgot you (unlikely)

There, that should get the feedback loop going, to use an engineering term. Speaking of engineering terms, I don't half miss Ohm...(Crrassshhhh). And if that's not funny, I don't know Watt is...(Crrrasssshhh).

Speaking of cymbals, I supposedly take delivery of my new drums on Monday. I'm skeptical - it surely can't be that easy. They will probably arrive smashed to pieces some time in late November. With the amount of time I have to practise I should be well up to concert standard by the time I get Ohm(sic)...(Crrassssshhhh)

Speaking of November, I'm hoping to negotiate a week or so working from home in New Mills later in the year. That would be nice. Pete / Bob, if you're reading, let me know if this is possible. If it's not then don't tell me.

Speaking of internet messages Vs face to face conversations ( I will see both Pete and Bob in the office on Monday), I've now got myself a webcam so anyone with the same technology is welcome to call me on Skype. My Skype name is russellhindley. Wacky, eh?

Speaking of work, it's going well, thanks for asking. Learning loads of stuff I should have learned years ago, and gainfully employed into the forseeable future. Also earning a reasonable wedge to offset the economic collapse which seems to be continuing in the YooKay.

Speaking of collapses, Lake Green apartments (my gaff) has just had a power interruption of about a minute, during which time:
a) I realised I'm writing this online, and that it could all disappear and have to be written again
b) Gideon Coe went quiet
c) The temperature in my apartment rose so fast I thought someone had lit a fire in my living room. Thank heavens for A/C.

Speaking of ... well that's enough speaking-of's for now. Better see if this message exceeds the character limit for one post on the blog...

Ah, no problem.

Be well, let me know ok?

10 comments:

  1. From Martin

    Your bike is fine, out of the horrendous weather we are having. Torrential downpours daily, garage has flooded twice! Not good but have used a footbal as a bung and so far it appears to have worked (crazy or what)!!!

    From Lucy & Martin

    Life is unbelievably hectic. Builders move in in 3 weeks!!, festival starts in 3 weeks!!!, Hen Party Saturday, Wedding in 8 weeks!!!!!! No nerves but brains are on overdrive.

    Short comment I know but just moved bed and all furniture downstairs today in prep to remove plaster off walls on 1st floor in readines for builders taking over. Both shattered and dog utterly confused!!!

    Tarah for now. Will try and keep posting.

    L&M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short comment is better than no comment. Thanks for reading, it makes it worth my time writing more of this drivel.

    I hope to see the house looking splendid by the time I get there in October.

    Wuff to Jem. Martin, have a pint of Aleforce and think of me, teetotal in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...now you've done it..... you have invited me to read, and yes, COMMENT on your blog. You may be sorry but I assume you can block me if I get too obnoxious ;-)

    I need to figure out how to get your new posts into my mailbox - I'm sure there is a brilliant way to do this and so will spend the rest of my afternoon trying to figure it out.

    1. Great new do..a little blinding but I bet it keeps the bed bugs happy - less work to get at the skin.

    2.The Chinese honestly don't give a rats - uh you know - about the rest of the world. This Olympics is strictly for the pleebs in their own country to feel proud and to pump up that nationalistic power. Period. Really...not even joking a little bit. Whoever thought that this event would cause the Chinese government to grow a conscience about silly stuff like human rights is insanely naive. They just don't care. Nothing like a sweeping generalization, eh? Notice I said "governement" not "people". There is hope for change but it is a long time coming and it won't come from pressure from the rest of the world.

    3.Coke, McDonalds, and Krispy Kreme Donuts will bring down all of mankind...this axis of evil is the reason we have ADD and an asshole for president. We are all doomed and I am addicted to Coke One.

    Probably enough for now don't you think? Love the blog...and will bug you every now and again about your ramblings ;-)

    Ciao,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, nice of you to comment. You're welcome to be as obnoxious as you like, as long as you disguise it as good-natured bonhomie, like I do.

    Yes I was in China working for a while in '97 and came away with a similar opinion. Hated the place. By the way I don't believe the event itself will cause them to grow a conscience. In fact I have little faith that they wll ever grow one. However their human rights might improve due the the right outside influences. In other words they must be MADE to give a rat's ass. Maybe MacDonalds and Coke should pull out in protest.

    I think I can get you on an update list. I'll check it out tonight. That's if I'm not setting up drums of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it! I'm getting your posts...Thanks!

    As for the bonhomie - I always have a smile in my heart as I write...does that count?

    As for Coke and Micky D's pulling out of China - fat chance (pun intended).

    My experience in China showed me that like a stubborn cat, you can never force the chinese to do anything....any changes have to come from within sooo if you really want to MAKE them change, you need to bring information to the masses. Right now most of them are living so much better than they ever have so the tendency is not to "rock the boat" lest it return to the old times.

    Anyway...I have oodles of opinions about that area of the world that might be better left for a conversation over a pitcher of some sort of libation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, can we four get together again, so I can get embarrassingly drunk and wander off to eat a burger at about 11 oclock?

    I dare you to roll up in New Mills when I'm home in October. I'm offering warm English beer and Buxom Barmaids (that's mostly for Jeff), and we have a lovely spare room.

    Perhaps a vacation in between all your other vacations...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm a dare say you? We are planning to run to Portugal in October with some friends - then Jeff is off to China....I wonder if the Buxom barmaids will swing in your favor - they certainly don't have those in Beijing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portugal shmortugal, dump your (probably very nice) friends and catch me in my natural environment for a limited period only. Except for November when I'll be there again.. and of course christmas. Then there's half term in March..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Russell you forgot me!!! can't quite decide on the reason but you probably just forgot who i am...

    it's that mad woman who used to sort of live opposite you in new Mills and now doesn't!!! Lynne sent me the link and i saw her yesterday on Lucy's hen dooooo...

    all went ok and Lynne sort of behaved herself... she hs some piccies for you though...

    anyway good to hear you're ok and stuff... i'm good and in the process of buying a house in Manchester (Stalybridge to be precise) but not sold Leeds yet...

    anyways... you take care and i shall keep checking on your news etc... fab blog if i do say...

    Janine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janine, I'm very sorry to have missed oyu out. I also forgot Brenda & Phil (B&P if you're reading please forgive me!) so you're in good company. Curse my leaky head.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the photo's. Are you on them? Phwoaaaar. x

    ReplyDelete