Site Hits - Well done one and all

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Home cooking

Hey, I put my own dinner together today. I made this...









Into this...








Seriously though, eating here is a revelation. In the UK we'd be horrified if we ate the same meal twice in a week (unless we live alone and there's nobody to disapprove). Here the variety eaten by the locals is almost non existant. I regularly get this meal ("pok an' lice speshur") from a street vendor near my apartment. It's delicious and nutritious and costs a whacking 50p. I mix it up by having noodles with won tons from the same vendor every other visit.
Makes me more and more cynical about our "foody" culture. What depresses me is the way they are trying to get western crap, sorry food, over to the Thai people with marketing. On the trains, which have TV in every carriage, they are shown adverts where healthy young Thai kids are tucking into gigantic cheesy pizzas, washed down with full-lard coke of course. I'm convinced this is the cause of the "giant schoolkid" phenomenon. More later on that.
For now, read the post below - it took me heffing ages to write and I'd hate it if nobody read it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey white boy, you made it look so good. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT???? All those plackie bags can't be good for the ozone. What you gonna do about it??? Rxx and Lyynnnn xxx and Hxxxxx

    ReplyDelete