Site Hits - Well done one and all

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

General Business

Saw this chap during a very enjoyable day around Chatuchak market with M and the Missus. No reason for posting it, I just like the photo.They really go for the western thing here, no idea why. The stetson is, in my opinion, one of the US's better exports. Along with pool, burgers and Specialized (with a z) bikes. Oh, and blues.

Our day in "JJ" (jatujak) was finished off nicely when we discovered a bar on the edge of the market that plays really good music. I noted down two tracks, after asking the (French) DJ what they were called, and when I track them down I will post them here of course, for your listening pleasure. A very enjoyable end to a day of haggling. Next time I visit I'll make sure it's late afternoon...

I also liked this sign on the lifts in Supalai Park:What, faulty wiring?


Found an excellent jazz music venue in Silom this weekend, and sat with Lyn for an hour watching and listening to a very good four piece band. Poor Lyn is still a bit jet-lagged so she nodded off while I tapped my feet and nodded my head knowledgeably (and probably completely out of time). I actually applauded their last number half way through during a long pause. Embarrassing, especially when the drummer looked round at me and laughed. Solidarity? Nah. Anyway for people coming to Bangkok, the place is called Niu Bar. I might take the missus back there when she's able to stay awake for more than 30 mins at a stretch, and have a meal.

Speaking of the incredible sleeping woman, she's currently snoozing by the pool. This is quite a trick since direct sunlight is in a narrow stripe caused by the gap between buildings one and two between 11am and 2pm. Constant exposure is not possible without moving two feet to the left every twenty minutes or so, and even then you'd have to sit in the paddling pool between 12.30 and 12.45. No joke, they actually built the pool in the shade of the building it belongs to. Corking.

More soon, be good.

9 comments:

  1. Making me feel like I need to be there instead of on this bloody train. Got a shed load of work and can't get my laptop out, so thought I'd have a rant on here instead! Hope you're both having a great time and looking forward to chilling out in ko chang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't you get your laptop out? Is the zip jammed?
    You type well for a canine btw.
    Weather isn't too good here, hope it improves on KC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guy in the market looks like a spitting image of Mart's dad! Say hi to the ladies. Hope you are all enjoying yourselves. L&Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyn falling asleep, never!!! She must be bad:-( Hope she will have recovered before the weekend).....Late night your thinking...yes, still up, updating my music on Itunes following a night in the pub watching the footie...you know its amazing the buzz you get from a packed pub when the team the pub! is supporting scores and then laughing out loud when the other team scores to a few odd Blues(not wearing blue I may add) accidently jump up in the air screaming, to the shear bemusement of others ...all good though..really good to see how we can all enjoy a good game no matter who you support in such confined space (can't say that for the fans at the match though..it was a disgrace)
    Soz, I know but its mid week and I have nothing else to report, apart from the fact it is bloody cold and getting colder brrrhhhhh. Be good, be happy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear from you Lucy. I take it you were in the Beehive?
    Hope the weather picks up. Don't worry it will be February soon, and then it gets really cold...
    Lyn is over the jet lag now, but moaning as usual about the hard beds here. Why a cry baby. Oh well, Koh Chang tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting blog reminds me a little of James Thurber? But I suppose Keith Waterhouse would be a closer fit given that you are a Brit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be compared to Messrs Thurber and Waterhouse is quite flattering. Where do I send the money?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Russell

    What have you changed I have trouble sending replies ... you might have to retrain me ... its been a while and Im really very blond ... ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Google changed the system. You'll work it out I'm sure. Whoever you are...

    My Koh Chang blog is imminent, slightly delayed by the lack of proper broadband at home. I have a feeling the phone company are going to take a long time over the change of address. Meanwhile I have to connect via my mobile phone and it's very slow and unreliable. More soon.

    ReplyDelete