Site Hits - Well done one and all

Monday, August 17, 2009

Done over

Nothing changes - the missus says I have an unhealthy attitude to Policemen. I say it comes from being (or at least feeling) unnecessarily harrassed by them as a teenager on a motorbike. They were, to a man, sarcastic, sadistic and unhelpful in my experience. Enough to scar any young man's psyche. Fast forward 30 years and there I was minding my own business, going to work on a Sunday morning. Next thing I'm being flagged down by a gap-toothed, black-shirted, peak-capped bully, having mysteriously strayed into the middle lane. Apparently bikes aren't allowed out of the gutter here. Anyway he pocketed my license and smugly informed me I could retrieve it at the local constabulary, somewhere in deepest darkest Bangkok. I know this ritual, having done it numerous times already, so I knew that was my cue to suggest I pay the "fine" on the spot. 400 Baht(8 GBP) later, I was on my way, leaving the jumped up Hitler happy and a little richer, my hard-earned cash having disappeared into his arse pocket. That was my serenity gone for the day. How is that the rule of law? If it happened in the UK I'd report him and he'd be fired, but here it's normal. Why don't they just stand on corners with a plastic cup like honest beggars? Hmph.

Be good, and stay in the right lane.

7 comments:

  1. Reading the article to Mart and Mart thought 400 Barht wasn't bad for driving up the wrong side of road (against the traffic) - but then I explained it was more then a one lane road!!!!!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle lane of a six-lane road (three lanes each way). Sorry wasn't clear from my rather angry text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me see - Farang driving a moped - You may as well just paint a large Baht sign on your helmet. Sorry officer - my mistake - can I have my license back? no? I have to go to the precint to pick it up? (I'll never see it again and then get fined by every corrupt policeman in Bangkok for not having one)..... I have to go downtown and pay a fine? - it's soooo far away - could I possibly give you the fine instead? Yes? Oh good - you'll take my money and pay the fine for me. Thanks very much. I'm so lucky. Long live the King.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes very nicely described, but for one detail - I don't ride a bloody moped. It's a 250cc Motorcycle. Got that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. pffft - 250cc tis an oversized moped. I'm sure we can discuss the classification over a pint or 3 this weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely coming then? Good. As long as you don't call my bike a moped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Africa (oh right sorry Asia) ...

    T and I have just come back from the SA Embassy ... so it goes like this ... for a copy of your birth cert they need 2 sep sets of finger prints and 2 pics and you have to do it apply in person ... I can understand why they dont ask for a vial of blood while they are busy !!!

    Evidently they have a flood of immigrants over the border ... well the bodies appearing at the embassy are hardly likely to be illegal are theyt. I said the legals were harrassed to death to prove who they are the rest hide ... and dont I just know.

    Im surprised we arent all chipped like dogs !!!

    Evidently expats returning to SA on expired SA passports are arrested and then sent back to the country from whence they came ... who dont want them ... I get a wiff of 'The Terminal' here ... wwe laughed in the movie but you could be a human ping pong ball.

    Ahh these matter stress me out something awful.

    Hope you are having fun at home. Send my love to Lyn.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete