Site Hits - Well done one and all

Friday, March 12, 2010

Letter to the BBC trust

I've sent this to the BBC trust, who are deliberating on the proposed closure of 6music:

****************************
Dear BBC Trust,

The closure of 6music would be a disaster both for me personally, and for British music in general. Here's why:

In the past year alone (and 6music has been around for 8 years) I've spent approximately £150 on music I heard and liked on 6music. I can assure you that I could not have heard that music on any other radio station. Therefore there would be no possibility of those albums being bought without 6music. Multiply that by 750,000 (the estimated listener figure) and you have a compelling reason why the UK music scene leads the world in terms of creativity and diversity. Without record sales the industry would die.

I listen at all times of the day, being fortunate enough to have a job which allows it. If 6music closed down, there would be no alternative for me but to turn to randomising my current collection to make my own playlist, and "Guessing" what to buy next. It's a depressing prospect.

The suggestions for putting some of the content from 6 onto other stations is ridiculous. It's like evicting the population of London and telling them there are some nice new estates on the Isle of Wight to live in.

I urge the trust to reconsider this awful decision.

Regards

Russell Hindley

***************************

If you feel strongly about the issue, or you just want to stay mates with me, visit this link and say your piece:

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/email-the-BBC

Be good.

2 comments: