Site Hits - Well done one and all

Friday, March 5, 2010

Electrolytes

Warning - this blog is basically me thinking aloud, and unless you're into issues around endurance sports it's extremely boring. If self-indulgent ramblings are your bag, read on....

We're constantly reminded, us sportsmen (don't laugh) about the need for correct hydration and electrolyte balance for optimum performance and endurance. Whew, what a mouthful. Anyway, with all that in mind, and mindful that taking on endurance sports in a climate such as exists here in Thailand causes added strains on the body's fluid levels, I looked around for an outlet for electrolyte replacement products.

Not a sausage could I find.

In a major city like Bangkok that's outrageous. One store answered my email with a promise that, although they don't stock the product I enquired about, they do stock other products by the same company, and they would get some in the future. That's a start I suppose, but these things are driven by market forces obviously, and the "Sports" market here is mostly blokes wanting to get much, much bigger.

In my book, that's not sport, it's pharmacy.

The basic premise in the minds of today's "yoof" is that the hours/days/weeks/months of hard work in the gym (allied with a healthy, suitably high-protein diet) required to build the desired physique can be avoided by swallowing regular handfuls of borderline illegal, life-shortening, hormone-balance-wrecking crap, and occasionally swanning down to the gym suitably attired in the latest glamorous lycra posing-tops.

The stuff you can get here over the counter is quite dangerous - human growth hormone, steroids, anything you want. This trend is duplicated in the actual company I used to buy my stuff from in the UK, an Australian company called Musashi. They now seem to concentrate on bloat-up protein shakes, amino supplements, whey powder, and in a small corner of their website you'll find the endurance stuff.

So I've jumped ship.

There's a UK-based company called Science in Sport, which has a line of products aimed at runners, cyclists and triathletes. Their stuff is even for sale in Tescos. I also found it on eBay.

The reason for all this girding of loins endurance-wise, is that I have a long offroad ride with the Bangkok Hash House Bikers at the end of this month. If I try to do 45 km in 35 degrees, with just water to keep me going, I'll get the worst case of cramp ever. I've always had problems keeping hydrated during sports. I sweat freely just walking along the road here in Bangkok, and that's not an exaggeration - ask wifey. Speaking of the ginger-headed one, she posted an enquiry on the ThaiVisa forum, which around here is the best way to find out anything about anything, asking about electrolyte replacement products. Answers? Plenty. One bloke suggested chocolate drinks are the future for endurance sportsmen. Another seemed quite taken with coconut water. Bizarre. The point is, there's just no interest over here in Triathlon, Cycling, Running or even Squash, because it's just too damned hot. It's only us stupid farangs that can be bothered.

I've already booked the hotel for the BHHB trip. It's at Khao Yai National Park, about 2 hours north of Bangkok. They usually do a big ride on Saturday, have a few drinks in the evening, then ride again an the Sunday. Then it's off back to Bangkok in time for tea & medals. I'm looking forward to meeting some like-minded people, possibly making some friends, and getting some good exercise at the same time. A full report will appear here. Lyn arrives in Bangkok two days later, so I better not get too badly injured. She'd kill me.

Later taters

10 comments:

  1. Flat coke, works wonders, add a bit off salt if your really dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bloody good suggestion. Lynny and I were just wondering how you could make a tasty drink with salt and sugar...Bang on. Also good for a tummy troubles . I am keeping that one Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russell, Russell, Russell ... speak to the mother of all drugs ... (tee hee)

    FIRSTLY ... DEHYDRATION AND CRAMPING!

    1 x teaspoon of bicarb of soda will sort out the cramping and introduce some electrolytes ... add it to 1/4 cup of water and wash down with another glass of water or juice. Have this immediately before and after the exercise. There is no limit to the amount you can consume of bicarb as its a different salt to normal table salt so will not affect you. It will also settle your tummy but you may fart ... quite a bit ... (oh wait , youre a man ... you fart a lot anyway ... LOL)!

    Bicarb or bread soda breaks down LACTIC ACID

    SECOND ... REHYDRATION ...

    To fix an electrolyte drink use the following formula ...

    1 x teaspoon of salt
    4 x teaspoons glucose
    1 x litre of water
    (you can add a 1/4 tsp of bicarb as well)

    I recommend you look for a salt that is mined in the Himalaya's its a pink salt and not a commercially produced or a natural rock salt.

    Shake this all together and drink ad lib, you can take this mixture on the bike etc as its perfectly safe.

    THIRDLY ... FINAL STAGE REHYDRATION ...

    Go to the pharmacy and ask for the rehydration formulas they give you if you are dehydrated. We use something called (Diahalorite)not sure how you spell it ...

    WARNING ... dont drink this solution whilst exercising as it causes heart palpatations and arythmis, but it is perfectly stable in a resting heart rate !

    Mix a sachet with a glass of water - it tastes vile but is highly recommended.

    Russell, I have used these products for ages as its more stable then commercial brands and less fattening. If you feel u need more energy up the volume of glucose and add fructose if you can find it at a health store. You can add to a juice mixture if you prefer the taste ... apple / lemon / lime juice.

    FOOD

    Fruit cake / bars is your best bet. You can download a recipe for oat crunchies and add dried dates, apricots, apples and raisins.

    Use syrup and brown sugar, and include salt. You need it.

    Other than that, take dried dates with you, instant sugar release and if you can find salted nuts ... good protein and the fat is a slow release energy.

    Good luck and let me know if there is anything else you need.

    Hugs and kisses

    PS the coke is not a bad idea but beware of the sugar spike - it will make you feel worse than not having had it at all. Hence the glucose / fructose combination instead of plain sugar.

    XXX

    Let me know ... Ifty my housemate and I are training for a marathon at the mo, she ius doing London and Im doiung Limerick on 2nd May.

    The bicarb is a treat and we use it on the horses. The FDA did drug tests on cyclists using it and couldnt fault it as its not an enhancer, just breaks down lactic acid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heavens sorry for the spelling, Im exhausted and running 20 miles tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. RECIPE FOR CRUNCHIES ...

    Link ... http://www.hulettssugar.co.za/Recipe-Crunchies.html

    Just add the extra fruit, it should be a lovely thick sticky dough, if to sticky add a bit extra syrup and an egg to bind, not extra water or they will be too crumbly. Chop the dried or fresh dates, apricots and apple to a bit bigger than a raisin.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odette, John, that's a lot of information, thanks.

    Now, what's the Thai for bicarb of soda? Hmmm... this could be diffucult.

    I've ordered some e-replacement now on ebay. It was only £7.99 so worth a pop. If it doesn't work I'll try your magic formulas. Weight gain isn't a big concern for me.

    I'm suspicious of the "munch a load of sugar" solutions to dehydration, because they aren't solutions. It's like turbo-charging an engine when the big ends are nackered. Solves the wrong problem, in other words. Doesn't work for me anyway, just makes me feel crap and the legs are still dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://pocarisweat.info/globalmap/index.htm

    The website has a very good explanation of the product and how it eliminates dehydration.

    Available in Thailand, seen it and drank it. I bet it tastes and works a lot better than some of the strange recipes listed in the comments I just read above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I like Pocari Sweat, I've used it in the Gym here many times to good effect. I do believe I mentioned it on this very site. It tastes fine. You're right it is a good website.

    I think, though, that chugging two litres of it on a long ride would get expensive. Maybe it could be used in smaller amounts alongside water.

    I might get a bottle and take it along on my next city ride. Thanks for the reminder, Mr Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya,

    Just back from a 20 mile run. It was cold but sunny and did a few hills. All good so far and touch wood - no injuries. I dont train with electrolyte solution as I get over hydrated from the volume of fluid I consume (learnt this on a medical trial I participated on in SA.

    I drank bicarb for the lactic acid. Most commercially produced products contain huge volumes of glucose and other sugars, incl caramel and caffine. If you make the product yourself you know whats in it. Dried fruits and nuts are a good nibble and relatively easy to eat on the ride. I find I get a horrible sugar spike from gels etc which affects me for days.

    I have been using the basic recipes I gave above for the last 10 years. I went to a nutritional workshop which was highly informative. There might be other stuff on the web. Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. 20 miles, just a little jog then, ye gods woman you're invincible, good job really ;-)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete