Site Hits - Well done one and all

Monday, October 5, 2009

Ratings

If you're one of the ten people who've logged in during the last 24 hours (indeed if you're one person who's logged on ten times {you sad git}) then thanks.

Lucy, I'm going to try to be less grumpy in future. The problem is, I actually enjoy noticing people's idiosyncracies. In short, it's fun being grumpy. However if you want me to be full of sunshine and smiles (which will make me as miserable as sin) then so be it.

Things are looking up at work - I even have hopes of being sent offshore next January to help with commissioning. There's also the Bangladesh job at some point in the future (yes, that one). All in all, if I keep my nose clean I think I can stay employed at least until the UK job scene picks up a bit. By all the signs, or at least the ones I can see, that won't be too far off. Actually I just got my multiple-entry Visa sorted out for the next twelve months.

A few people have mentioned coming over to Bangkok for a break, which is great - I get to be the local expert and show them the city. I can help them avoid the pitfalls (careful with tuk-tuks, most of the girls are boys, etc etc) and also suggest the best places to go and see. I might even find out a bit (more) about the city myself, since I'm really poor at sightseeing. Having someone here who's actually interested in stuff will help a lot.

While we're on sightseeing, I took a trip to the Baiyoke Tower the other evening, for a meal with the Thai engineers from the office. It's the tallest building in Thailand and it has a revolving viewing platform on the 84th floor. It also has a nice international restaurant on the 78th floor, which is why we went. Lots of interesting food, and the deal is "All you can eat" for 470 baht - about a tenner. I really must take wifey there when she comes over next time, she'd love it. The views over Bangkok are great, although I found the revolving platform, which is open-air, a little unnerving. It rumbles and creaks a bit, and also for some (typically bizarre) reason the Thai builders have installed a PA system which plays out birdsong constantly while you're taking in the views. If I was grumpy I'd point out that this is unnecessary and rather irritating, but I'm happy and sunny so I'll pretend I loved it.

While we're on unnecessary, I went with a few of the guys to a tailor on Sukhumvit Road for a fitted shirt. I've never had anything made to measure and here it's quite cheap, so why not eh? Anyway I just ordered one for now, and if it's good, I'll get some more. The shirt will be ready for fitting tomorrow and I'll report back, possibly with photographs. Depends how bad I look. Some of the materials were a little Pyjama-ish. Yes yes not a real word. I chose a nice safe white colour with a dark blue pinstripe. I also avoided some of the more flamboyant style choices - double cufffs, silly wing collars etc. Unfortunately this particular tailor seems to concentrate on business type shirts so the choice of materials wasn't great. Next time I'll go to one with psychedelic flower materials. That'll please the missus.

I mentioned the new visa - thereby hangs a tale. I knew that today the agency I work for would send someone to the visa office to do all the form-filling and wait in all the queues for me. Gosh, I'm so pampered. Anyway, I completely forgot about it and left my current work permit and passport in the apartment. No problem, while the lady waited in the queue, our driver (Khun "A") could nip back to my apartment, get the docs off the table and be back withing an hour. I handed over my keys, and some instructions (passport is red, work permit is blue, both are on the table as you walk in) and went back to work, secure in the knowledge that my affairs were being sorted out for me with minimal effort on my part. An hour later, Khun "A" was back with..... my passport and my offshore safety booklet. Now, granted, the safety booklet is blue and it was on the table, but so was the bloody work permit. He must have shoved the right item aside to get to the wrong item, for heaven's sake. I resolved to smile through the pain, and respectfully suggest he make another round trip. This he did, and got it right second time. Meanwhile Khun Kay, the lady in the queue, was practically hairless at the delay. The office for visas hapens to be in our building - hurrah! But it's in tower 2 while we're in tower 1 - booo! I only had to go down to the lobby, walk across the plaza, and take the lift to the 16th floor - hurrah! But I went to the 15th and got completely lost - boooo! I eventually arrived in the right place with all requisite docs, only half a day late.

While we're on (or in) the lobby, I've got into the habit of buying coffee from the rather swish cafe in ours. Silly really, when I could just walk outside to any one of half a dozen street sellers and get more for less. Note to self - be adventurous with coffe purchases henceforward. Reply to self - but it's so hot outside, and the nice lady smiles at me and knows my order (simper). Note to self - don't be fooled, she knows you're a mug who'll pay double the going rate.

Going now. I'll blog the result of my game on wednesday, which as mentioned I'm quite chuffed about.

Be good

3 comments:

  1. Russell ignore me...be you. I wrote the blog at some god unearthly hour in the morning and have since thought better of my comments. If you weren't Grunpy you wouldn't be you (by your account only!) I personally do not think you are grumpy, however, I am not your wifey or a work colleague!!, therefore I transpose that this must mean when you are with friends Mr Grump goes away:-).
    You have done me proud and yet again made me LOL with regards to the story about said passport and Visa 1/2 day late situ, very funny but god only knows what kind of steam was coming out poor old lady's ears who was in the queue. I personally would be like a steam train on fell pelt (not amused) but Thais I so much more refrained than we are (aren't they)

    That shirt you have ordered sounds just like something Mart has in his wardrobe. Don't forget to send the pictures (whether bad or not). And anyway you and shirts (particularly fitted and contemporary!), whats going on here then?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. be a grumpy old man, see if i care :-) !!

    ReplyDelete