Site Hits - Well done one and all

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Scribbles

Text-only blogging today sorry, I'm in work and have no way to get my many stimulating and interesting photographs from phone to PC.

While we're on phones, mine holds 8gb of music, has one of the best music players on the market, supports a bluetooth stereo headset and can make and receive calls while playing music. What do I need an iPod Nano for? I nearly bought one because they're so pretty.

While we're on music, this month I've fallen in love with the Kings of Leon, Elbow and The Acorn so anyone who's reading would be well advised to check those artistes out. And no, I'm not getting paid to advertise them.

While we're on advertising, I'm getting tired of TV on trains. Every carriage of the BTS Skytrain has two installed, and they play adverts all day at high volume. People gaze up at the blasted things like captive brainwash victims. In order to blank this out I wear the afore-mentioned headset, but I have to put my music up so loud I'm in danger of proving wifey's warnings about hearing loss. I also read on the train if I'm lucky enough to get a seat. Yes I can read and listen to music at the same time. I can also hear the announcement of my station ("Nanaaaa...") on the train PA over all of this. It takes practice but is ultimately rewarding.

While we're on Wifey she's had a cold for a couple of days so please all wish her a speedy recovery. It even kept her from University for a day so it must have been a bad one. Fortunately I forget having colds in a matter of weeks, so can't remember that last time I had one. This forgetfulness is probably the reason I frequently claim never to catch colds, which is patently untrue. Mind you, I get a lot less than the missus.

While we're on forgetfulness, I was waiting for a motorcycle taxi the other day and complained to a colleague that I can never make the rider understand me when I want to go to the underground rail station, or "MRT". He informed me that the correct words were "lot fai tai din", which means motorised train underground. I duly blurted this to the taxi guy, he understood immediately and off we went. Pleased with this new trick, I resolved to memorise it for the next day. Forgot it instantly. I had to ask the colleague again the next day. Try memorising four random syllables - it's nearly impossible. However with the aid of some strange imagery which I won't go into, that phrase is now lodged in my head, as is "lot fai fah" for the BTS Skytrain.

Just had to break off blogging for a few minutes to order pizza - weekend working has its benefits. I am also actually working I promise, but the software I'm using takes an age to do anything so there are frequent periods of waiting. I'd rather blog than watch an egg timer. There's a phrase you don't hear very often.

Now where was I? Ah yes, Bangkok. We all trooped down to the Muay Thai the other night (that's Thai boxing to you) to get some local culture, but it was closed so we had a few beers instead. I quite like boxing but don't get to see much on account of the missus hating it, so I was quite looking forward to it. Never mind, we'll organise a trip on the correct day in the new year, and photographic evidence will be posted I promise.

While we're on New Year, I travel to blighty on Friday 19th, back to Bangkok on Jan 2nd. Please invite me to any parties you know about, even if you're not actually organising them. I have a feeling that the festivities will be even more feverish than usual this year on account of the "Slow down" (dead stop, anyone?). On returning here I fly almost straight out to the rig, and there I will stay until February. Better stock up on good books. Unfortunately I'm now nearly up to date on Battlestar Galactica, unless the DVD of season 4.5 comes out soon. That TV series has kept me entertained for two months now, which means my drumming has suffered from neglect. I still drum twice a week but knowing I'll be at sea for most of next year takes away my enthusiasm. Ditto for training, although there is a gym on the rig so I won't come home a complete "Blurtah".

Still on the new year, what can be expected for ferret-times in 2009? Well, there'll be less amazing culture-clash stories as I get bored with my surroundings, more aimless wittering like this, and more moaning about being ohmsick. The job has to end eventually, but at the moment there's no end in sight. Also I'll do some more crosswords. They were popular with some but not others. All I can say is if you hate them, let me know. I enjoy putting them together, but if it turns people away from the blog I won't do it.

Enough for today, pizza has arrived and I want to be sure I get all of my share and most of everyone else's.

Be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment