Site Hits - Well done one and all

Friday, June 11, 2010

My Spine (and Obama's lack of one)

It's kinked. But we think it's temporary. However, the leg-length (I'd guess a bit less than a centimetre) issue that was the root cause is long-term and needs treatment. Otherwise I'll continue to have problems as long as I keep hopping, skipping and jumping. I'm waiting for an appointment with a bloke in Buxton who's an expert on musculo-skeletal problems. Doc also noted that the muscles in my lower back are much bigger on the right side - this probably means they are in spasm due to the pain, which pulls the spine into a kinked shape. That's why I have to take the pills - the theory is if there's no pain the spasm will go away. Anyone good at massages?

But enough about me, what about this thing with BP and Obama? The blame game, played out on a huge scale, with people missing the point all over the place in their haste to hold on to the moral high ground, and in Obama's case, some opportunistic tub-thumping. How can one bloke, however verbally careless, be held responsible for this? Whatever caused the explosion will be brought to light, and the series of unfortunate decisions that led up to it will be examined, and procedures will be put in place that reduce the likelihood of a repeat. That much is obvious. The cleanup is also obvious and BP will have to pay for it, but these are side-issues. What's happening to stop the oil? What's happening to clean the beaches and estuaries? How much cooperation between agencies is there? Thse are the real questions. The heads of these agencies should be telling the people of Louisiana/Florida what they are doing about it, not issuing sound bites about how "Someone will pay for this". Suing BP won't help the heffing shrimp population will it? The worst of it is, the shrimp farmers are lapping up all the litigation-speak. Their society is so twisted, they think that's the right way to go about things - in a disaster situation, the primary goal of all concerned is not to fix the problem and get on with it, but to hunt down the culprit and screw him for all he owns. Gah, I despair. People's ability to miss the point so criminally makes me want to be from another planet.

My next blog will be from Pluto. If you don't like it, sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment