Site Hits - Well done one and all

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Zanzibar

Well, we did indeed meet up in Nairobi, and it was indeed romantic. I won't forget the sight of Lyn running back through the metal detector at the Nairobi departure lounge, and leaping into my arms, much to my delight, and the embarrassment of the Moslem/Conservative/Po-faced staff. For a while it had looked like I was going to miss the flight so we were both relieved that we would be arriving in Zanzibar together.

The short flight to Zanzibar was nice, despite a rather persistent (and quite successful, as we discovered next day) Mosquito which came along for the ride. The pilot announced we were flying at 19,200 feet, at which point I remembered that Kilimanjaro is exactly that size. Lo and behold, I looked out of the window and there it was in all its glory, looking close enough to touch in the bright African sunshine. Unforgettable. Note to self: organise another trip to Tanzania, and bring hiking boots.

Our first 5 nights were spent in a Hotel in the centre of Stone Town, aka Zanzibar town, the largest town on the island. The town has narrow streets and lots of old buildings from the island's heyday, one of which is 236 Hurumzi:


236 Hurumzi, our hotel in Stone Town. We stayed 4 nights in the "Keep Suite" and one in the "Seyyed Suite". The Hotel is famously the "second tallest building in Stone Town" and commands a great view of the city. The Keep was an excellent place for relaxing and that's what we did. The Hotel also has a rooftop restaurant which is just spectacular. Here are some pics that don't do it justice:






Then we moved on to Matemwe in the North East of the island, for a proper beach holiday. White sand and mosquitos would be my abiding memories. That and the most relaxing 6 nights I've spent since learning to walk. Some photos:

Pool area


Beach..




We spent three days in this hut.


Doesn't show very well here, but the coral sand is so white it nearly blinds you. Soft too. I'm more used to sewage-laden sludge, as in Ainsdale/Southport/Blackpool.

All in all a wonderful experience. Saying bye in Zanzibar airport wasn't nice, but I intend to be in New Mills as soon as possibe. Unless Lyn comes over here of course...

5 comments:

  1. Looks very nice and particularly relaxing. Hope it was a competition as to how many Mosi bites you could both get!! The pics, particularly the sunset look fabulous. Are you in Bangladesh now then?

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-phrase that after looking at it again - I meant "wasn't".
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyn would win that competition easily. It seems I'm not the only one who finds her "tasty". Insects were travelling from miles around, queueing up to get a bite of her ankles/wrists/knees. They mostly leave me alone, although I did get a couple. The repellant works well but it's very oily so you always feel like you need a shower. Hark at me complaining - it was lovely, relaxing as you say, and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially the Matemwe Beach part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Russell,

    Looks like you had a good relaxing spicy time. Quite jealous really. I've been trying for a holiday - but I'm busy trying to get my project up to FAT standards - July 13th the build finishes - then we go to London for a bit of testing... I've been told 'October would be a good time for a holiday' - fed up and overworked as usual...not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not fair indeed. I felt like I deserved my holiday, having been holed up on a platform for so long. October will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete