Site Hits - Well done one and all

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Debrief - Platform Trip Jan2009

Now that I'm home and comfy, I can mull over (publicly, of course) the trip and note down some high points and, er, low points.

Generally a successful trip, progress was made professionally even if life itself was on hold. God knows how these people live like that.

The bad news: Low Points


  • Getting off the chopper knowing we were effectively in prison for 28 days.

  • The first Sunday, when we finally received the internet-enabled laptop we'd campaigned for, during the (enforced) room-cleaning exercise I knocked a bottle of water over it. It stopped working for a heart-stopping two hours, finally drying out later in the day after many false dawns. I was apoplectic with stress, shame etc etc.

  • Spending 7 hours in one day Skype-chatting with Pete to try to iron out some bugs, with client demo approaching. Not my finest hour - some choice language, spite, pedantry, general prima donna behaviour. Ask Bart, he was there.

  • Succession of odd roommates which included, but were not limited to: "Spit Boy", a young man with a habit of hawking, spitting, gargling, gagging loudly in the bathroom at 4am; and "The Beast", a very troll-like chap we first encoutered in the canteen - he was so fierce-looking I actually sat at another table. Sure enough on return to our room there he was, reeking of smoke. Priceless.

  • Walking back down the gangway after being bumped from the first to last chopper on the last day. We found out when we took our bags to the helipad. Now that's disappointment.

The good news: High Points


  • Seeing real plant data on our screens - back-slaping all round and hysterical emails back to the boys onshore.

  • Finally getting on the chopper home after being bumped. See video.

  • Spending hours saving the virtual world, playing "Age of Empires" with Bart - whole evenings of potential boredom gone in the blink of an eye.

  • Sticking to the fitness program. The gym was well-equipped and empty after 9.30pm every night.

  • Some excellent people-watching, mostly at mealtimes. Americans, Thais, some Brits, Australians, all human life was there. Speaking of which:

  • Excellent food. This is normal in the oil industry. For me it was a return to youthful days - huge intakes of comfort food, meat, desserts, offset by regular hard sessions in the gym. I lost one pound over the 28 days according to the chopper manifests.

As promised here's the trip I did four times a day for 28 days. I finally found a way to rotate video, so you don't have to get a crick in your neck to enjoy this highly entertaining piece of action footage. My own personal road movie:


Some photos:


Does my bum look big in these?

On the way home at last. You will not find two happier people.

More arty. Well I have to keep the missus intersted.

"All human life was here"

Bart learns software, using music as best protection from my pedantic outbursts. And me constantly taking photos.

Well that about covers it. I'll be home on Friday 13th for a week of making friends. See you in New Mills.

By the way here's a bit of video from the frantic moments when we finally boarded the chopper home. What it does not show: the chopper blades were actually chopping when we boarded, which was very hollywood-ish. Normally they park it for half an hour or so. Also the noise - my phone camera obviously hated it and just plugged its ears.



Be good, see you all soon - can't wait.

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic footage man!!! Loved the chopper bit ... even saw the rotor blades moving ...

    You have missed your calling in life !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo how exciting, i know him!!!!!

    lo o :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so - you had your first 'Singha hangover' since getting back?? Hope you're enjoying the freedom! How about a 'Top Tips' guide on how to spend 28 days surrounded by troll like hairy arsed drooling oilmen (steady odette....) - what to pack? (I'm guessing waterproof cover for laptop) ... what to leave behind? (I'm guessing fluffy slippers and dressing gown.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No hangover just yet, but fanciful thoughts of giving up alcohol altogether will doubtless disappear tonight when I go to Pete's for dinner. There's always a Heineken involved.
    "The Beast"'s arse may have been hairy, may have bee smooth as a baby's for all I know - honestly.

    Are you going offshore? How exciting. Here are some tips:

    Definitely leave the dressing gown, but slippers were in view in the main accommodation block, since outdoor footwear is not allowed.

    Pack dvd's, they make you popular. One change of clothes is enough since laundry is done every day.

    Don't take aerosols, or if you do, don't admit it at the heliport - they get taken off you. I shaved with soap all the time I was there.

    Take some gym gear - the food is wholesome and plentiful and boredom makes you eat like a horse. The odd session in the gym can offset the damage. Alternatively, be prepared to be one waist-size bigger coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Russell - Nope not heading offshore - I'm dodging that bullet. Don't much fancy the idea of going offshore. Just thought you could offer some usefull Top Tips in case Odette or Wifey end up on an oil rig.....
    So - you'll be on a plane soon enough again! You must have enought airmiles for the missus to get a free flight by now! You heading via Finland again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on a plane on friday at 1 am as it happens - that means I have one more working day before home time.

    This time it's Emirates via Dubai so I'll post from the airport if possible with any thoughts - which, given that it'll be 4am, won't amount to much. However as you know that won't stop me posting...

    I'm back offshore in two and a bit weeks, for another 28-day stint. I must love this job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexanderbusby !!! I do not like hairy-arsed trolls ... I like my men, lean and mean and fairly hairless !!! Nuff said or Russell will start censoring the stuff I write ... LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Odette-the-ever-resourcefulFebruary 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM

    Now ... I wouldnt mind some oil-rig excitement myself and God knows I could do with the moola!!!.

    My ideal closet would be african sandels (yip the ones made with old car tyres and interesting cotton straps), shorts, and shirts ... kinda kalahari-safari-style. The question is ... will the pith helmet be overkill? Well honestly ... its more attractive than the horrid plastic ones.

    I could honestly do with the good food. Im on two protein meal supplements a day and would happily munch the steering wheel just to have something to chew. Joan my marathon partner is determined to have me drop a stone in 10 weeks. Well somethings gotta give and at this stage the only thing giving are my work pants ... man the stitching in them is world class --- ha ha ha. Picture real african figure combined with olympic hammer-throwing champs figure and you got it ... LOL.

    So where to from here ... oh yeah! I dont like noisy - smelly bedfellows ... dogs included, and brother can the bassett snore! so if its ok with everyone can I please have my nice own quiet room with pressed linen, well if you are ironing my clothes dont stop at the bed linen.

    Ah ...did you mention that rooms got cleaned? That could be a factor. So what will I have to do one the Rig. Im pretty good at organising people, and spending money ... there is actually a career in it called event management.

    I dont mind to give up alcohol either ... well I do but I can manage ... brother imagine those sunsets with a lovely cocktail adorned with a pretty umbrells.

    HEY PRESTO !!! I have it ... I can run the R & R department and keep morale up ... now dont let your imaginations run away with ye. Dirty sods the lot of ye !!!

    Its just a suggestion !!! And I fly pretty well as well , have been know to make cross continent flights and arrive uncreased ... tee hee ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if anyone who hasn't shared that experience can understand how incredible emotive those to videos are. K Tae & I had the same response to the walk to CSS. I kept thinking of the opening scene in Porridge.

    The elation at getting on the chopper is indescribable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words, eloquently put Peter. I'll get you to ghost-write my blog from here on I think.

    ReplyDelete